Week 8 !!

Part 1

1 Do you see any books on the ALA list that you've read or know about? List some of them and what you thought of the book.

  I looked more at the 2015 and lower years, as that is when I was in high school and would of ben checking books out from a high school library. However I saw lots of books repeated, and found it funny some of the books were even ones we read as a class. For instance, Looking for Alaska was apart of the curriculum for Juniors in my high school. As well as The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini and The Perks of Being a Walflower were books apart of suggested reading lists my school provided. I think these books are all age appropriate, and contain good content for high school aged readers. Parents are prudent, and naive if they do not think their children are watching movies based on these books, or movies in which contain worse things. 
 2 What’s your take on limiting access to various books and other materials in public schools or local libraries? Do objections seem reasonable?

  I understand in certain states that there are different laws about religion. However considering we live in a country based on god, and the Christian religion I feel it is a silly battle to fight keeping the Bible in libraries. I feel the point of a library is to have access to different books than you typically would, and editing these books and being overly concerned is a waste of time and energy. HoweverI do see where having 50 shades of gray is ridiculous and not age appropriate. 






3 Now think about the bookshelves at your home. List some of the books and authors that visitors would find on your bookshelves. What do those books and writers tell us about you and your interests/passions?

  I don’t have many book shelves in my homes, just because I try to keep things minimal for moving purposes as a college student we tend to do that quite often! However I do have an assortment of text books, from various classes. As well as I have the twilight series, La Candy series by Lauren Conrad, and some other younger audience reading material. I think people would be able to easily tell what age I am by reviewing my random books that I have in my room. I generally just keep whatever I am reading at the time, or
trying to read at the time. 











Part 2

1 What THREE magazines, either in print or online, have you read over the years? Write about your interest in these publications, and what they say about you and your interests? What, in particular, do you like or look for in these magazines? Cite some examples. 

I have never been one to read magazines religiously online, however I have read a few articles or something like that from time to time but I was never subscribed or anything like that. Over time I have been big on seventeen magazine, teen vogue, normal vogue and Cosmopolitan. I enjoy reading about fashion and beauty in magazine settings. I like to use magazines and a more specified version of a newspaper sort of thing. Obviously with it being 2017 there are a lot of blogs and such posted I could follow but I appreciate the effort and literature aspects that go into creating a magazine. 

2 Consider the advertising in these publications. What products and services are featured in these magazines? List some of them. Finally, what do these publications say about you as a consumer?


The magazines I read and spend the most time looking at, are full of ad’s marketed at a younger demographic. There are many sections of the magazines that are about fashion and clothes in which they include all the stores and websites in which you can find the clothing. There are also a lot of other movie and book ads in which the younger age range would enjoy viewing. I know that I am in college so I could be reading much more informational magazines in which would more greatly benefit my education. However I read magazines for enjoyment, which is why I do not try overly hard to read things in which I do not find enjoyable. 



Cosmo wrote a little blurb about the types of ads in which they post and why, so I thought I would include that
http://www.cosmopolitan.com/career/a28543/about-our-ads/

Comments

  1. I agree with you that it is kind of ridiculous to expect schools to keep the Bible off their shelves in the library when the Christian faith is so prominent in our society, for example, the word God in the Pledge of Allegiance, but if we allow the Bible to be on the shelves we need to give the students access to books of all religions. There is a separation between church and state, but if we're going to have religion in public schools they all need to be represented equally and, if taught in class, taught equally.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 5

Week 1 Forum